PetMedix is an early-stage biotech pharmaceutical company based in a fantastic new building on the Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge, UK. Having recently raised Series B capital, PetMedix is now looking to realise its global ambitions to become the world leader in innovative antibody-based therapeutics for companion animals (dogs and cats).
PetMedix is currently seeking a self-motivated, energetic, and highly detail-oriented patent attorney with a proven background in intellectual property management. This is an excellent opportunity for a qualified patent attorney to experience an in-house role at an exciting time for this growing company.
The candidate will work alongside the Director of Intellectual Property and can expect to be involved in all aspects of the company’s intellectual property strategy, including its growing patent portfolio.
The candidate will also have plenty of opportunities to interact directly with PetMedix scientists to evaluate and coordinate the capture of IP. Decisive thinking, problem solving, and time management skills are essential to manage diverse and complex tasks.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop a detailed understanding of the Company’s science and business.
- Manage the growing IP portfolio.
- Lead the processes of drafting and prosecuting patent applications across all areas of the Company’s science.
- Review, coordinate and implement appropriate intellectual property strategies, working with Company executives and appropriate external patent agents, trademark attorneys, legal advisers and consultants.
- Monitor and evaluate third party scientific and patent publications and communicate any analysis to Company executives.
- Maintain appropriate record architecture and content for the Company’s inventions, know-how, trade secrets and registered intellectual property.
- Continue to provide education to management and scientists in the Company on current best practices in the protection of inventions and intellectual property.
- Follow and enforce IP processes in the Company to ensure the optimal and timely protection of intellectual property as well as protecting third-party partner interests.
- Provide IP-related input to support legal agreement negotiations.
- Assist in managing IP due diligence to support company financing and other transactions.
- Manage IP budget
- Other IP-related duties as may reasonably be required by the Company.
Requirements & Education
- A degree in the biosciences plus qualification as a European Patent Attorney and/or Chartered Patent Attorney, ideally with some post-qualification experience.
- Expertise in drafting, filing, prosecuting and managing patents.
- Comfortable discussing science regularly with scientists to identify inventions and to consider and explain strategies for protecting them.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate IP issues in a simple and pragmatic way to the Executive team and Board, as well as to external parties.
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems.
- Adaptable team player, detail oriented and organized, with excellent time management.
- Ability to work independently.
- A Ph.D. degree in a related scientific discipline with work experience within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry is desirable.
- Knowledge of immunology is desirable.
This is a full-time role with a competitive salary in line with experience and other benefits such as company share options, private pension plan, bonus scheme, and health insurance. However, we will also consider, and are supportive of, flexible or part-time working as well as a combination of home and office working.
If you would like to become a member of our team, please send your C.V. and cover letter to email@example.com
We will deliver the first transgenic mouse platform capable of producing therapeutic-quality antibody drugs fully adopted to the target companion animal. The platform is species-agnostic and our initial focus will be to develop a mouse model for creating therapeutic antibodies for dogs, and then equivalent models for cats and potentially other species.
PetMedix supports diversity in the workplace and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, race, colour, religion or any other discriminatory criteria.